Boston College Introduction
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,377 full-time undergraduates and 4,420 graduate and professional students. Ranked 37 among national universities, Boston College has 878 full-time and 1,201 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $1 billion, and an endowment in excess of $2.2 billion.Job Description
TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Center is hiring an Associate Research Director, Psychometrics & Data Science, experienced in analyses of sequential and
process data, reporting to the Executive Directors.
at Boston College’s Lynch School of Education and Human Development, IEA’s
TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Center conducts regular international
comparative assessments of student achievement in mathematics and science
(TIMSS) and in reading (PIRLS) in more than 60 countries. TIMSS (the Trends in
International Mathematics and Science Study) and PIRLS (the Progress in
International Reading Literacy Study) together comprise the core cycle of
studies for IEA – the International Association for the Evaluation of
Educational Achievement. Headquartered in Amsterdam and with a major data
processing and research center in Hamburg, IEA has been conducting
international comparative studies of student achievement since 1959.
and PIRLS collect an array of information about home, school, and classroom
contexts in which students in each country learn mathematics, science, and
reading. Collecting comparable data about students' opportunities to learn is
at the core of TIMSS and PIRLS, and the results are reported regularly in
relation to countries' achievement on the mathematics, science, and reading
assessment and as a matter of interest to educators and policy makers.
position requires a combination of research, scholarly, and operational
experience and a good understanding of large scale international educational
measurement projects. In addition, regular meetings to coordinate activities
with IEA data processing staff in Hamburg, Germany, as well as in Boston, USA
are required. Additional national and international travel may be required for
attendance of TIMSS and PIRLS meetings as well as presentations at conferences
- Develop a research agenda for the analyses of sequential and process data (including timing/latency, response behaviors, navigation, and other human-computer interactions over the course of the testing session) as it is collected in computer based assessments.
- Develop project plans and proposals around the use and analysis of process data, and serve as project coordinator as well as contributor to support the successful execution of projects as well as the reporting and dissemination of results.
- Develop a dissemination strategy together with IEA Hamburg to ensure that the process data research and related data products will be made available to participating countries and researchers around the globe.
- Mentor junior staff and closely coordinate process data research agenda and project portfolio with senior management of the TIMSS and PIRLS International Study Center.
- Coordinate analytic with operational work and reporting schedules, as well as with the statistical programmers, psychometricians, and assessment developers at the TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Center.
- Liaise with IEA and data processing staff to coordinate the collection and documentation of process data and process data products and contribute to documenting procedures and methods in the TIMSS and PIRLS technical reports.
- PhD or advanced qualifications and experience in
quantitative psychology, educational measurement, or a related field
- Experience in complex data analysis, modeling,
and programming using large scale assessment and/or survey data
- Experience working in an international and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience in writing research proposals and
publications and in preparing and delivering presentations to a wide range
of technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to persevere, maintain focus in reviewing
technical material, pay close attention to detail under tight deadlines
- Exercise maturity of judgment
minimum of 5 years of experience in the field for the Assistant Director level.
A minimum of 10 years of
experience in the field for the Associate Director level. Closing Statement
This is a grant funded
Competitive salary commensurate with
Boston College offers a broad and competitive range of benefits depending on your job classification eligibility;
- Tuition remission for Employees
- Tuition remission for Spouses and Children who meet eligibility requirements
- Generous Medical, and Dental Insurance
- Low-Cost Life Insurance
- Eligibility for both 401K and University Funded 403B Retirement Plans
- Paid Holidays Annually
- Generous Sick, and Vacation Pay
- Additional benefits can be found on https://www.bc.edu/employeehandbook
?Boston College conducts background checks as part of the hiring process.
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected category including disability and protected veteran status. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at https://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity .
Boston College's Notice of Nondiscrimination can be viewed at https://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity/compliance/nondiscrim