Boston College Introduction
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,150 full-time undergraduates and 4,420 graduate and professional students. Ranked 31 among national universities, Boston College has 758 full-time and 1,096 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $956 million, and an endowment in excess of $2.2 billion.Job Description
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow Minimum Full Time Equivalent Stipend: $50,004
Altindis lab is based at Boston College Biology Department, which provides, state-of-the-art support facilities including core laboratories for sequencing, proteomics, FACS analysis, and animal facilities. We also offer a remarkable training including the opportunity to collaborate with top scientists in the world. Because Dr. Altindis is an Adjunct investigator position at Joslin Diabetes Center (Harvard Medical School), the postdoc will be able to use Joslin Core facilities and will have close collaborations.
• The appointment is temporary and the initial contract will be for one year that will be extended every year, typically up to 3 years
• The postdoc is expected to apply for independent funding opportunities and awards during his/her stay in the lab
• The appointment involves substantial full-time research and may include mentoring students in the laboratory
• The appointment is typically viewed as preparatory for a full-time academic and/or research position.
• The appointment is not part of a clinical training program.
• The appointee works under the supervision of Dr. Altindis.
• The appointee is expected to prepare manuscripts and publish the results of his or her research during the period of the appointment and/or to have publications in press or under review during this period.
• The appointee is expected to help the preparation of the laboratory’s grant applications and apply to postdoctoral fellowships.
• The appointee will be supported to join one national or international meeting every year as she/he has enough data to apply.Requirements
• Appointee recently awarded a Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate (e.g., Sc.D., M.D.) in Virology, Microbiology or a related field.
• The ability to perform creative and independent research
• Experience with large dsDNA viruses and basic virology assays (plaque, isolation, infection, apoptosis, proliferation…)
• Experience with making viral knock out models of viruses; bacterial artificial chromosome and/or CRISPR
• Next-generation sequencing library preparation and analysis is a plus
• Experience with basic experiments, isolating DNA, RNA and protein from tissues and cells, qPCR and Western Blot, microscopy.
• Experience of mammalian cell culture of primary cells and cell lines
• Transfection of animal models and cell lines using AAV and lentivirus models.
• Demonstrated scientific excellence; evidenced by publication track record as well as track record of presenting at national and international meetings.
• Experience with cloning
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
• Good interpersonal skills.
Highly desired:Closing Statement
• Experience with bioinformatics (R)
• Experience with,RNAseq
• Experience with virome research is highly desired.
• Experience with phage display method
• Experience with insulin, FGF or endothelin biology
Boston College conducts background checks as part of the hiring process.
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected category including disability and protected veteran status. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at https://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity
Boston College offers a broad and competitive range of benefits including depending on your job classification eligibility;
Tuition remission for Employees
Tuition remission for Spouses and Children who meet eligibility requirements
Generous Medical, and Dental Insurance
Low-Cost Life Insurance
Eligibility for both 401K and University Funded 403B Retirement Plans
Paid Holidays Annually
Generous Sick, and Vacation Pay
Additional benefits can be found on www.bc.edu/employeehandbook
Boston College's Notice of Nondiscrimination can be viewed at https://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity/compliance/nondiscrim