Boston College Introduction
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,150 full-time undergraduates and 4,420 graduate and professional students. Ranked 31 among national universities, Boston College has 758 full-time and 1,096 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $956 million, and an endowment in excess of $2.2 billion.
The Project Manager oversees a high volume portfolio of marketing projects including print, events, website development, marketing automation/email, and social media. S/he is the first and primary point of contact for Campaign Managers working with business partners throughout University Advancement. S/he adds value by continually optimizing production processes and finding new opportunities for efficiencies across the marketing function. On a day-to-day basis, s/he is responsible for managing the execution of a variety of projects from concept through delivery, including planning, tasks oversight, and continuous communication with Campaign Manages on project status.
• Act as a goodwill ambassador for the Boston College University Advancement Marketing & Communication team. Form positive, productive relationships with campaign managers and business partners grounded in trust and transparency.
• Establish, communicate, and implement a marketing projects process that maximizes efficiency, provides transparent guidelines to clients, and ensure flexibility to resolve competing priorities.
• Review, implement and adjust productions schedules; prioritize projects; size work; track project stages and status; troubleshoot problems; communicate with printers and vendors to ensure delivery of the highest quality work.
• Demonstrate excellence in time management. Learn quickly the time required to complete a given project and provide reasonable and accurate estimates to clients. Define standard timelines for projects to ensure proper planning and eradicate ‘scope creep’.
• Make no promises that cannot be kept. Communicate early and often with to ensure that they are apprised of issues, be it time, resources, or competing priorities that could delay projects.
• Display a deep and broad knowledge of the process of bringing omni-channel marketing projects from concept to delivery. Use that knowledge coupled with innate leadership skills to consult with, and provide guidance to business partners and campaign managers.
• Manage partners and vendors; set and manage internal and external meetings; and provide agendas and post-meeting status reports for all assignments.
• Master the use of the Smartsheet project management tool and provide regular visibility into project status through meaningful reporting for various stakeholders.
• Assign and oversee the progress of project work for a 15-person team through face-to-face conversations and collaboration within the Smartsheet project management tool.
• Work continuously with manager to review team workload vs. capacity and identify ways to load balance/increase throughput.
• Oversee a complex communications timeline and ensure timely, results-focused production of all communication pieces across all platforms and mediums.
• Manage internal and external advancement communication resources to produce cost-effective communications work within and under budgets.
• Continually evaluate team’s projects effectiveness and provide improvement recommendations.
Department: 031121 – Adv Communications & Marketing
Position: 11916 Project Manager
Salary Range: 63,200 - 79,000
This position requires the following:
• Project management experience including a deep understanding of broad project management principles (Certified PMP preferred): 5 years
• Proven experience using a project management tool (Smartsheet preferred) to oversee a large portfolio of projects; strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• Outstanding emotional intelligence, and ability to utilize it among a wide and varied set of clients.
• Must be a leader, strong communicator, have excellent written, presentation, oral communications and interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interface with technical and non-technical audiences in an independent and interdependent setting.
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or business management preferred.
• Advanced working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Must be a team player who is highly motivated and dedicated to the goals of advancing higher education and have an appreciation for Jesuit Catholic education and the goals and values of Boston College.
Boston College conducts background checks as part of the hiring process.
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected category including disability and protected veteran status. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at http://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity.