Boston College Introduction
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,150 full-time undergraduates and 4,420 graduate and professional students. Ranked 31 among national universities, Boston College has 758 full-time and 1,096 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $956 million, and an endowment in excess of $2.2 billion.
We are seeking an experienced paraprofessional to join the acquisitions team for Boston College
Libraries. The Acquisitions and Fiscal Assistant will share responsibility for ordering and invoicing of over $10 million in library materials annually. Commitment to excellent customer service and superior attention to detail is necessary for a successful performance of these duties:
● Place orders with appropriate vendors for monographic acquisitions, according to
● Search and import bibliographic records for ordered material from OCLC Connexion
● Use an integrated library system (Alma) to maintain records relating to: orders,
vendors, inventory, and bibliographic data
● Use the university’s accounting system (PeopleSoft) to approve and track payments
for over 2,000 invoices, and to troubleshoot any problems that arise in issuing
● Assist in the resolution of bibliographic, holdings, order, and receipt problems, working closely with serials catalogers, other serials acquisitions staff, and staff in other library units
● Receive new material in Alma, routing it to appropriate departments for additional
● Assist in training, scheduling, and distributing work with student workers
● Contribute to the unit’s goals by completing special projects as needed
● Perform reconciliation of the department’s monthly bank statements in compliance with
the policies of BC Procurement.
● Develop and foster good working relationships with vendors, sales representatives, Library selectors, and other University staff.
This position is full time days Monday - Friday. Hiring range for this position is $36,500 - $45,600 depending on experience.
● At least 1 year of recent experience in library acquisitions, preferably in an academic setting
● Understanding of basic accounting principles and practices
● Demonstrated commitment to customer service, including initiatives and follow-through
● Experience with integrated library systems, Alma preferred
● Solid experience with productivity suites such as Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
● Experience with accounting systems, PeopleSoft preferred
● Experience with online vendor systems, YBP-Gobi preferred
● Ability to communicate with vendors in a forthright but respectful matters to ensure good service and relations
● Post-secondary education preferred
Boston College conducts background checks as part of the hiring process.
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected category including disability and protected veteran status. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at http://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity.