Boston College Introduction
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,150 full-time undergraduates and 4,420 graduate and professional students. Ranked 31 among national universities, Boston College has 758 full-time and 1,096 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $956 million, and an endowment in excess of $2.2 billion.Job Description
The Research Statistician will be responsible
for providing faculty with direct consulting, user support, and training in
relevant applications and tools. This role will also provide faculty with the
consultation and direct project support for applications with different federal
agencies such as the National Institutes of Health. The Research Statistician
will also play a role in post-award support, and may be named in grants and
publications. In addition, this role will provide expertise and support in the
use of statistics, data analysis, writing of data analysis sections for grant
applications, computational projects and applications with large and small
datasets. The Research Statistician will
also develop online documentation and training materials relevant to
statistics, as well as help manage workshops and consulting services for
faculty, graduate student consultants. This role will potentially co-author
papers with faculty in exchange for taking lead roles on data analysis and
writing of results sections in manuscripts.
Additionally, this role will design and implement long-term quantitative
initiatives to support research projects at the University.
● Prepares methods sections and analysis plans for incorporation of abstracts manuscripts and grants
● Ability to critique and improve grant submissions and manuscripts
● Prepares Statistical Analysis Plans
● Performs, interprets and documents basic and complex analysis
● Presents results in written and verbal form
In addition this individual must:
● Understand the mission and strategic goals of the University
● Lead and/or participate in cross functional teams both inside and outside of Research Services
● Be able to view and understand the implications of the larger picture both within Research Services and the University at large
● Identify and understand complex challenges and have the ability to collect and synthesize supporting data, present challenge and recommend solutions.
● Be open to change and lead the implementation of change
● Be oriented to innovative approaches to problem solving
● Must have proven competencies to work in a team environment that aspires to service excellence with strong individual organizational, planning and communication skillsRequirements
The person will be hired at one of two levels depending on experience:
Senior Research Statistician: Minimum of three years (Ph.D.) or four years (Masters’ degree) of experience in a research environment providing advanced statistical/analytical consultation. Ph.D. in Statistics, Public Health, Social Work, Economics or related area with emphasis on applied statistics preferred. Master’s degree with equivalent experience will be considered. Publication record in recognized journals is a plus.Closing Statement
Research Statistician: Minimum of one year (Ph.D.) or two years (Masters’ degree) of experience in a research environment providing advanced statistical/analytical consultation. Ph.D. in Statistics, Public Health, Social Work, Economics orrelated area with emphasis on applied statistics preferred. Master’s degree with equivalent experience will be considered. Publication record in academic journals is a plus.
● Ability to listen to researchers and provide excellent research support.
● Acts as a liaison between researchers and other functional areas within the department.
● Oriented to innovative approaches to problem solving.
● Excellent verbal, written (including documenting code) and interpersonal communications skills to includepresentation skills and the ability to influence others.
● Broad understanding of a variety of statistical methods and expertise with software such as Stata, SPSS, SAS, S-Plus, and R
● Proficient in the use of statistics in a research environment
● Familiarity with Latent Variables and SEM is a plus
Boston College conducts background checks as part of the hiring process.
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected category including disability and protected veteran status. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at http://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity.