Boston College Introduction
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,150 full-time undergraduates and 4,420 graduate and professional students. Ranked 31 among national universities, Boston College has 758 full-time and 1,096 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $956 million, and an endowment in excess of $2.2 billion.Job Description
As part of the Application Administrators in Systems and Operations,
He/She will design, implement, and manage a wide range of client management
solutions in support of the broader technology initiatives of ITS; providing a
secure, stable, and productive computing experience for faculty, staff, and
students. He/she will work closely with Computing
Support Services (CSS), lab administrators and system administrators to
automate systems configuration and support delivery.
In addition to working on various IT Systems initiatives, The Application
Administrator will provide enterprise application administration and support
for two or more of the following systems across multiple platforms:
- Microsoft Active Directory Group Policy Management
- McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (McAfee ePO)
- Software packaging and deployment
- Dell Data Protection Encryption (DDPE)
- ALERTUS desktop emergency notification system
- IBM Workload SchedulerMS SQL database administrationFileMaker database administration
While the majority of work is performed during normal business
hours, some evening and weekend work may be required to maintain systems and
minimize disruptions of service.
The following outlines the essential functions of the position and
is not to be considered a detailed description of all duties inherent in the
- Work closely with Computing Support Services (CSS) to coordinate rollout of various
- Collaborate with CSS, Security, vendors, and consultants to determine strategy and plan for
system implementations and upgrades
- Administer Windows Server 2008-2016 Servers and provide support to other system
- Provide support for Active Directory as it relates to Group Policies and Organizational
- Manage from inception to successful implementation small to medium sized projects
- Act a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for various ITS initiatives
- Provide proper training and documentation for ITS support groups as needed
- Suggest improvements based on technology, best practices, and/or changing requirements
- Act as a project technical lead and/or functional lead for assigned projects
- Maintain some MS SQL database systems and develop SQL reports as needed
Associate Application Administrator:
0-2 years of system and application administration in a multi-platform environment
with an emphasis on troubleshooting client/server issues or a minimum of two
years or related experience.
A minimum of three years of system and application administration in a
multi-platform environment with an emphasis
on troubleshooting client/server issues. Minimum of one year experience
analyzing customer needs and providing
information technology based solutions to meet those needs.
Senior Application Administrator:
A minimum of five years of system and application administration in a multi-platform environment with an emphasis on multi-tier application deployment. Minimum of three years’ experience
analyzing customer needs and providing information technology based solutions
to meet those needs.
In addition to:Closing Statement
- Bachelor's degree in relevant discipline or equivalent combination of education, technical
certification, and experience.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, ability to
successfully coordinate multiple assignments, and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to independently analyze and solve complex problems, applying
technical, analytical and creative problem solving skills.
- Extensive knowledge of MS technologies, including MS Server 2008-16, MS Active Directory Group Policy Objects, and MS SQL.
- Working knowledge of Windows PowerShell and SQL scripting.
- Strong working knowledge of standards & protocols: TCP/IP, DNS, LDAP, DHCP, VPN, 802.11,
- Knowledge of RH Linux is highly desirable.
Boston College conducts background checks as part of the hiring process.
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected category including disability and protected veteran status. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at http://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity.